Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Can't sleep - will blog

Good morning!

2 am in Southern California brings sleeplessness. I had the MacBookPro on to listen to the radio because the sound quality is so wonderful through the little speakers (and the radio reception is so bad.) I woke up to no sound - and realized that the computer was not plugged in and the battery was drained. I like to have that happen every once in awhile as it isn't healthy for the battery to constantly be plugged in and recharging. That makes a laptop battery die an early death. I'm typing this out on my pc laptop that sits right beside the MacBookPro. Yep. I have two laptops. I teach computer classes at local colleges and high school, amongst other things, and these days, it pays to be 'multilingual.'

I also fell over a month ago while gathering up clothing that was out on the line in the patio. Problem with that was the lawnmower was just below me and I tripped and fell against it, slicing a big chunk of flesh out of my lower leg. I have enough flesh to donate, let me tell you, but it's been a slow healing process (and I did not go in for stitches.) Why? Well, I'm of the view that I should be able to take care of it and heal it without rushing all the time to the doctor. As a kid, I was always pumped full of penicillin because of my chronic bronchitis (they didn't know what else to do, I guess) and I do not believe in that. I've seen cases overseas in my studies and travel of the overuse of antibiotics, and now we have the superbug. I will go to the doctor for this if I get desperate, but for now, it is healing, albeit slowly.

While I have been reading all the wonderful blogs of folks who are on the camping and traveling roads, I've been wishing to do the same. There is so much work to do around the house that I cannot leave now and our Good Sam Club isn't going out again until January, so I am working at home. In a few more days, I will be off work (I teach) and I'll be able to devote a lot of time to issues around the home. I haven't gone out by myself yet and plan to go this next year. I want to drive around and find places to boondock away from the maddening crowds. That would be fun!

It's 2:30 am. Coast to Coast (www.coasttocoastam.com) is on and replaying from its 10 pm to 2 am slot. The Los Angeles station I listen to replays the broadcast over again until 5 am, when one of the best radio crews comes on in the morning. They are hilarious and I'm glad I found the station, but that doesn't help me right now.

As I read other blogs, I find the pictures that folks have taken are wonderful. I need to do that. I will add to my blog more pictures so folks can see how spoiled I am while living in Southern California. We have just had a couple of really warm days (80 degrees) and the fog has set in tonight, indicating that change of temperature that comes with cooler weather returning. I'm sure our croplands are going crazy with the temperature fluctuations, though, and our county is well-known for its strawberries, lemons, oranges, and avocados, so I hope the trees have not been affected much. It will be the severe cold that really gets to them, but these unseasonal temps come in second to harming the fruit of them all.

With the hustle and bustle of the coming holidays, please take care and travel wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment